Hair extensions are becoming more and more popular these days and are a service salons are now offering more than they ever have. They are great for those who want to change their hairstyle without having to go through the hassle of cutting, coloring and styling their hair.
They are also great for those who may be suffering from hair loss from Covid-19, cancer treatment side effects or as simple as the changes women often see in their hair as they mature through life. There are many types of salons, stylists and hair extensions to choose from such as clip-ins, sew-ins, glue-ins, tape-ins, beaded rows, halo wefts, micro-links and the list goes on. Each type has its pros and cons and we are here to help guide you along the way to choosing the “best hair salon near me for extensions”.
There is no perfect solution when choosing what salon and brand to go with so we like to recommend considering these factors first: budget, lifestyle, commitment level and personal preferences to your personality type. If you are unsure, you may want to find a stylist with an intake form that will help filter which service and hair type is best for you. The main difference between them is the way they attach to your natural hair. Some methods require heat, some don’t. If you’re looking for a quality hair extension service, then read our guide below so you can choose what is best for you.
Tips to find the best salon to get your hair extensions done.
1. Hair Quality & Price. Good extensions are done using top quality human hair and can be higher priced than you can find online. Top quality, professional products, tools and hair are only found in your local, reputable salons. There are a few things to look for when you are trying to find a good hair source. Be cautious, not every company is 100% honest about the quality of their hair.
- Prices will vary salon to salon, stylist to stylist and the geographical area of the USA but on average it costs about $150-$250/hour plus the cost of the hair to color and install the hair. Expect to pay more for the first visit and any visit that includes hair color services.
2. Extensions Consultation. You’ll need to choose the right type of extensions for your hair. We recommend doing an in person consultation with a known hair stylist in your area, likely within 15 miles of where you live or work so you can speak to the hair extensions expert and ask all of the things you need to, to be comfortable with the commitment. Most of the time, you will need a color service to match up your desired hair goals, but not always. The simpler your haircolor, the simpler the match up. If you have a multi-dimensional blonde, you may have a much more expensive overall service ticket in order to keep your regrowth looking as good as the extensions and may be in the salon more often to retouch the new growth.
- The consultation is key for communicating what you want, but it can also be very revealing in terms of assessing your stylist, so use it as an interview of sorts—and listen carefully. “Every appointment should start with an in-depth consultation, whether it’s for a color, cut, or hair extensions, and, of course, a patch test prior to any color service,” explains Mist Krant. “During a consultation, a good stylist will consider your face shape, lifestyle habits, check for unusual growth patterns, and take into consideration how your hair looks when it’s natural.”
3.Reputation & Social Media- You will want to find a salon in your area that you have heard about, read about and feel good about as the choice for your consultation. Make the most of your time spent at the salon from the time you call, the booking process and how they make you feel when you walk in and when you leave. Ask the salon if they have a social page where their extension work is showcased and go look on Instagram and Pinterest. Send them a dm and ask about their experience. It always helps hearing from someone first hand to get a better idea of what the process has been like.
- Google Reviews
- Yelp Reviews
- Instagram Gallery
- Website & Branding
4. Additional Services Needed- What else is included in the service? This is the biggest factor in choosing a salon and stylist. When comparing prices, you want to know what is included in the price, such as the color . Does the salon offer a full color service? What does this include? Is there any additional cost for cutting it to blend?
- Hair Color
- Gloss & Glazes
- Conditioning Treatments
- Keratin Smoothing Treatments
5. Service Guarantee. A salon who stands behind their work and quality of hair will stand behind a limited guarantee with guidelines to how to maintain your hair at home. Follow the rules and do exactly as your stylist shows you and tells you to keep the integrity of the hair and their work. If you do not use the right products and tools, you will cause damage to your extensions installation and most likely to your natural hair. Treat your investment well and it will in hand last longer and stay looking fresh.
- 2 weeks is the average time for a salon to offer a guarantee if anything goes wrong from the installation. If you choose not to follow exactly what they say, they likely will void all guarantees.
6. Maintenance Level & Commitment- Be prepared for a money and time investment. If you do not like to be tied down to one length or one style, the choice in hair extensions will come into play. While some hair extensions services require more maintenance than others do. Know the details before committing, or you may be stuck with not only a money investment but a time investment you did not intend to get stuck with so often. Ask questions and take notes. Likely, you hair stylist is the best extensions specialist near you and she will go over it all at the consultation, but do not be hesitant to ask what is necessary.
- Follow-up hair color maintenance- 3-8 weeks on average.
- Re-Install- 4-8 weeks move up necessary to keep them intact and fresh.
- Retail & Tools- At home care will make or break the longevity and integrity of the hair and hair color. Use what is recommended by your hair professional.
Now located at 9904 Sandy Rock Place inside the NEW side of Salon Lofts directly across the street from The Improper Pig, Aloha Nails, Massage Envy and Harris Teeter in the Rea Farms Shopping Center.
Drive to Charlotte’s Best Hair Salon: DRIVE TO SALON ELEVEN